Monday, February 9, 2009

Getting Older

It is funny how just one night a year you go to bed and the age the next day changes by one! It would be funnier yet if overnight a person skipped two years. Maybe with amnesia. Thankfully, the Lord has given me a very good memory. I do lose my ability sometimes to capture just the word I want in a moment.

Last week I did that overnight thing. When awoke on Thurs. an hour earlier than usual, it took me a few minutes to recall that it was my birthday. When I was younger, I had expectations. You know, things I might want, things I might like to do, surely someone would bake me a cake. It was mostly about me. Well, as I've grown older, I just don't have expectations. Well, I would be disappointed if my kids didn't call or send a note. You know though, I really enjoy being surprised. Well, a week ago Sun. I invited a couple over from our chapel and let them choose the night. They chose Thurs. and I didn't even think about it being my birthday, so by Tues. it registered with me that that would be a birthday surprise--like I surprised myself.

With facebook, lots of people know about your birthday, so I got lots of greetings there. Thanks to all of you who sent them. Thank you too, to the Facebook Team for their greetings.
Snail mail is becoming passe, and I know how hard it is for me to first, remember, and then coordinate my mailing of greeting cards, so I got one or two early, a few on the day and then some every mail-day since. I still like cards. I like the thoughtful notes. My brother still thinks funny ones are most appropriate for me. After sending me the umpteenth card last year describing our rocky sibling relationship, I reminded him that we'd buried the hatchet long ago. Well, this year was another funny (?) one about how we never squabbled, and everything in our past was so smooth. The inside said that "of course, his memory isn't always perfect!" Well, do pray for Jim.

I was vacuuming the porch carpet (oh yes, I work on my birthday) when this gentleman came up to the porch with a plate of goodies and other things. He was dressed in a suit and tie. He said "Have a nice day, young lady". :-) At 8:15 that morning the doorbell rang and I got a 16 yellow roses. Remember I woke up an hour early, so, yes, I was dressed and had had my breakfast.

My invited guests brought a plant that is much like an african violet but has ordinary leaves.

Oh--there were calls. Starting about 9:30 and going until noon. I love hearing from my kids and getting the drawings from the grandkids. I could use some pictures from TX and NE. I cleared my refrigerator door after Christmas.

Before all the calls, I had a wonderful time in my Bible reading, reading the story of Joseph. You know how you are assingned one chapter? Well, that is a story I have to read straight through. My heart is alway touched by Joseph's forgiveness of his brethren and no vengeance at all. I just sat and cried as I thought about my Lord and Savior, taking all of the punishment for me--a lost and GUILTY sinner. That is a gift I thank Him for everyday.

Getting older is a matter of perspective. I know this Uncle Charlie song that says:

I'm not growing old
I'm starting to live,
For I have eternal life. (repeat)

Measured by eternity,
I am very young you see,
I'm not growing old, I'm starting to live,
For I have eternal life!

By the way, a second or third cousin of John's had TWINS born last week on my birthday.

If you have a birthday yet this month--HAPPY BIRTHDAY1

5 comments:

  1. So who was the gentleman dressed in the suit and tie with the offering of cookies - you didn't tell me about him when we talked?

    Are you partial to yellow roses? I bet they were from your TX son and family - but you didn't say.

    I didn't tag you in the picture tag on the blog (see my recent post) because I wasn't sure if you would have enough pictures that you could upload one for a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have joined you on your birthday. I think I would have taken you out for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have really enjoyed going out for breakfast. May I take a rain check?

    ReplyDelete