There is nothing like having company in January. Yes, we see a lot of peole from Thanksgiving to the New Year, and then it is nice to quiet down and get into some semblence of routine. The days are still short, and for those of us whose family is away, it is quiet. I do like quiet. The Lord taught me to enjoy solitude. I also like company. I had no idea a week ago Sat. night that I would be blessed with some. Last Lord's day was special as we had a good-bye meal for a dear sister in the assembly. I was invited to another gal's for supper.
Later that night, my cousin from Adel, IA came and was able to spend most of the week with me. Do you have cousins 8 or so years younger than you. Most of my contacts have been brief over the years, but it was a delight to renew or friendship as adults. Her circumstances parallel mine in many ways. Our husbands both went to be with the Lord last year. She and I were encouraged as we talked through many things.
I got to spend parts of Thursday afternoon and Friday with my Lincoln "kids". Nothing like kids to make you feel young. When a 3 year old tells you that she "appreciates" you--that is a boost for anyone. It's fun to hear the 2 oldest read to me. The oldest one likes to read poems and jokes to me. He also likes to find an interesting book and become engrossed in it when there is work to do. Has anyone ever heard of such a phenomonen?
Yesterday, John's brother and his wife, Mark and Pam came over for a visit. We spent time with Sarah and the kids (Matthew had to work) and Mark played with the kids out in our pitiful bit of snow. By afternoon, the snow was gone. It got up over 60 degrees. After they left, we went to the scrapbook store. I got a bit bored and went to the Ben Franklin nearby. For scrap bookers, "Ben Franklin Too" is the best store of that kind that Pam had seen. It is kind of like a Strong's Concordance--EXAUSTIVE!
We took a walk on the bike path, then went out to eat. The time went entirely too fast. Having Mark here, is like having a little bit of John. He makes a terriffic surrogate Grandpa--kind of like our kids' great uncle Helmut or Uncle Dennis. Well, there are many of you.
The Lord has blessed me and I am thankful for company. I like the quiet too, as then I have more time to spend with the Lord.
I hope each of you have a very Happy February!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"In like a lamb & out like a lion" or visa versa when it comes to weather perhaps it will be something like that for visitors for you. You certainly had a rush at the end of Jan.
ReplyDeleteDon't know why you told me a few weeks ago that you didn't know what to write on here - you are not having any trouble that I can see.
Sounds fun. I think about that too when I see Mark- it is like having a little bit of Dad around. Been thinking about Dad a lot the last few days. Remembering him whistling in the hardware store and embarrassing me by adjusting his belt right there in the parking lot. :)
ReplyDelete